Are you aware of the UN Sustainable Development Goals? This is just a quick post to remind you that the IEC supports #SDG7: to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable & modern energy for all.
Here are key facts to remember:
- One in five people still lacks access to modern electricity
- 3 billion people rely on wood, coal, charcoal or animal waste for cooking and heating
- Energy is the dominant contributor to climate change, accounting for around 60 per cent of total global greenhouse gas emissions
- Reducing the carbon intensity of energy is a key objective in long-term climate goals.
The targets of this goal are:
- By 2030, ensure universal access to affordable, reliable and modern energy services
- By 2030, increase substantially the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix
- By 2030, double the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency
- By 2030, enhance international cooperation to facilitate access to clean energy research and technology, including renewable energy, energy efficiency and advanced and cleaner fossil-fuel technology, and promote investment in energy infrastructure and clean energy technology
- By 2030, expand infrastructure and upgrade technology for supplying modern and sustainable energy services for all in developing countries, in particular least developed countries, small island developing States, and land-locked developing countries, in accordance with their respective programmes of support
To find out more about UN Sustainable Development Goals click here.